Cutting tree roots

Hello, I'm having a new driveway installed, and the concrete companies have said that my neighbors tree,next to the our driveway, has caused the driveway to buckle and become a hazard. They all say the roots need to be cut to put in the new driveway. This is a very large evergreen, and I'm worried that cutting the roots will weaken the structure and it will fall. I've actually been afraid of the tree falling for years, as it will fall on my house. My neighbor said if we cut the roots and it falls, it's my fault. I would like it to be inspected by a credible arborist, but I've had a problem finding one. Could you recommend one? I'm at a bit of a loss, as the concrete people say it's no problem to cut the roots, but I don't feel confident in there expertise as tree inspectors. If you can provide a competent person/company name it would be greatly appreciated! Thank you, Mary Ann Martinez

Hennepin County Minnesota arborist

Thank you for your question.

Here is an Extension publication to help you find a certified arborist: