Many years ago, your office recommended a product for getting rid of drain...

Many years ago, your office recommended a product for getting rid of drain flies. ( You identified them for me as well).I do not recall the name of it. But I recall it worked well. The junk I recently bought ( Bio Drain) hasn't helped at all. In fact the problem seems worse now. Thanks for any help. Maureen Kane/Lakewood, Ohio

Cuyahoga County Ohio drain flies

Hi,

Drain flies can be tricky to control, as you have to control both the adults and larvae. The most economical way is to remove the organic material in which they breed. This requires cleaning sinks, drain pipes, and any area with standing water. You can use an aerosol insecticide spray to control the adults, but that will not control the larvae. Several products contain either bacteria or enzymes which breakdown the gelatinous scum in drains. They are applied as either a pour around the drain lip or injected as foam. Most pest management companies provide this service. Be sure to check any area with standing water and plumbing components to prevent re-infestation. Here is more information: http://ohioline.osu.edu/factsheet/ENT-41