Save A Mature Pecan Tree - Water Inside Base

Asked August 10, 2016, 1:17 PM EDT

I have a beautiful, mature (approx. 80 year old) pecan tree that bares beautiful greenery at present. Another crop of perfect "paper shell" pecans are in the make. The tree appears completely healthy, however, a limb recently fell during a storm. My neighbor had a tree service come look at the tree and he says there is water in the base. He says it is rotten and has to be cut down. We share the tree on our property line. Her grandfather and the original owners of my house planted the tree some 80 years ago to signify a neighborly union. How can I save the tree? I am in Shreveport, LA. I am in tears. I hope you can help me save this beautiful tree. Thank you in advance, Lisa

Caddo Parish Louisiana trees and shrubs

3 Responses

I'm sorry but there's nothing you can do to save a tree that's rotting from the inside out. Especially given the proximity to your driveway and (I assume) your house, it's a danger to you and your property. I strongly recommend you have a licensed, insured arborist take it out.

Thank you so much for your response, Andre. The tree shows no evidence of rot. The bark is in perfect tact. The foliage and crop are in lush condition. One arborist looked at the tree under the pretense of a customer called who wants a tree removed. The tree man makes his living removing trees and commented that "when he dies there will be no more trees left on this earth." He was very motivated. I since had an owner of a large pecan orchard come look at the tree who said the tree is healthy. It could use a canopy pruning. He stated that while a hole in the tree trunk compromises a tree trunk's strength in comparison to a tree without a hole, it is still a vibrant, healthy tree. In addition to the canopy pruning, he advised a flap designed to cover the hole. Also, he connected me to Dr. Graham Louisiana Ag Pecan Station, for further assessment. I appreciate your feedback and encourage further discussion or comments. Thank you,, Lisa

It sounds like local opinions vary. You may want to call your local LSU Ag Center office if the issue is still in doubt:
I would certainly defer to Dr. Graham's advice above others. If you'd like to contact him directly:
Best of luck.