Invasive Bamboo

Asked August 8, 2016, 4:48 PM EDT

I have about half an acre of very mature bamboo on my one and a half acre property located on Carpenter Bridge Rd, Felton DE. How can I get rid of it, or sell it or harvest it, donate it?

Kent County Delaware

1 Response

DE currently has no adopted state law prohibiting the planting, propagating or selling of bamboo. A number of towns (i.e., Smyrna, Dover & Newark) have adopted ordinances and some have proposed ordinances for future review.

If you do have this on your property, you want to eliminate it, do not try and replant this species anywhere else. It will take some effort on your part over a few years to get control of this plant. Once you cut the above-ground stems, the roots sucker-out numerous other plants. The best eradication method is to physically remove the stems and immediately treat the root connection with a strong herbicide designated for 'brush' control. Contact the Delaware Invasive Species Council (DISC) for more assistance. They can be reached at:

They may even be able to assist with directing you to a funding source to help with the procedure. ~DOT