Fall annual flowers to plant on porch with east sun only

I want to plant some bright fall annuals in planters on porch which gets east sun only.any suggestions on what and when I should plant. Lisa McLaughlin is my deceased wife and she was a Dakota co master gardener. Thanks Steve

Hennepin County Minnesota

Dear Steve,

Thank you for your question. Please follow this link to see a list of recommended annuals for fall planting.

http://www.extension.umn.edu/garden/yard-garden/landscaping/best-plants-for-tough-sites/docs/08464-c...

Sorry to hear about your wife. I'm guessing that she, as a Master Gardener, had nice garden areas.

Best wishes with your fall planting!

Jackie thank you for the response and the link but I was more interested in what you personally would recommend and when you would recommend to plant thank you Steve

I don't plant annuals! I plant perennials in pots (hostas, sedums, etc.) at the beginning of the summer, and then plant them in the ground in the fall.

My suggestion to you....go with annuals with bloom colors that you will enjoy, that will "match" other garden areas, or the colors of your house. You can't go wrong with petunias, impatiens, marigolds.

As for when to plant, do that as soon as possible so they have enough time to get big before the first killing front. Just keep in mind that plants in pots need a lot of water, especially during hot weather.