Medinilla Magnifica Rose Grape

Hi I bought this plant from Amazon about 2 months ago. It came in perfect condition ready to flower (closed petals). As I understand the flowers should have opened and pink bits should come out the flower (see Google for pics). This never happened - the petals just opened. They have stayed pale in colour. Also on the Amazon reviews for it a few people had posted pics of theirs looking great flowered how they are supposed to! The leaves had some kind of rot on them so I cut the affected ones off and left the flowers. See pics for current state of the plant! Also it used to have a thick green stem now it has split at base (see pic). I keep it on a shelf where it's in the shade/dappled sunlight if its a bright day. I only water it when the soil is completely dry. I'm not sure what has happened to it and why it never flowered properly! can I save it?! Thanks! Anna (UK)

Outside United States indoor gardening houseplants united kingdom

It is difficult to diagnose your plant’s problem from your description. It is possible that the plant was damaged in shipping, or may simply need some time to recover from the shock of being placed in a news environment. Your plant is an epiphyte. It usually grows attached to trees with its roots in very small pockets of soil in indentations in the host tree. It gets most of its water from the humid air in its native environment. Therefore one of its most important requirements is high humidity. This can be accomplished by daily misting, and sitting the pot on a tray of pebbles which are kept wet. Avoid over wetting the roots as this can cause them to rot. You should remove the dead flower stems, and in the future deadhead the flowers after they fade.