Trimming / Pruning mature honey locust tree

Hi, We have a well established honey locust in our yard (Louisville CO), adjacent to our deck. It is about 20 years old (planted as a sapling, now the main trunk is about 10-12 inch diameter) and provides a great canopy. This year, however, I notice that there are quite a few smaller, inner branches, mostly lower and middle, that have not produced leaves; these appear dead and I suspect some pruning is in order. I’ve seen some contradictory recommendations as to when the best time to prune is; some say in late winter-early spring, others say in late summer before September. Also, should the pruned branches be sealed to prevent bleeding? I have the equipment (shears and saw) and am just trying the figure out the proper course of action. Some photos are attached. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks, Ed N.

Boulder County Colorado trees and shrubs

Dear Ed,

I am including a link to a detailed description of how to prune the dead branches from your honey locust : http://www.ext.colostate.edu/mg/Gardennotes/612.html

This will tell you what angle to use and how close to the trunk to cut.

The short answer to your question is that you can remove the dead branches at any time of the year, and that you do not need (nor is it recommended) to use any kind of sealant on the pruning cuts.

Good luck with your tree.