Climbing Roses

My Sister Gave Me This Climbing Rose...It Didn't Have Much of a Root at the Time...I've had it for 3yrs and No Sign of Roses...What Am I Doing Wrong...What to Do to Make it Bloom? Here's 3 Different Views of It...Front...Back and Side View!

Milwaukee County Wisconsin roses climbing rose

Hi
Well I know it's frustrating not to have blooms, but I have to say this is one very healthy looking rose bush! Not a sign of disease and lots of shining leaves! Well done. Now let's see about those blooms. (do you happen to know the variety of rose? That will help figure out what the problem might be...) but I'll give it shot for now...

It looks like it's in a sunny location in the picture, though very close to the house. Does it get AT LEAST 6 hours of sun a day? If not, that could be the problem: roses need a LOT of sun to bloom well. I had one here close to the house (sort of like you have) and it produced nicely if not profusely for a few years... but I moved it out into a flower bed last year and this year it is spectacular.

You don't mention if you've been fertilising it. With such nice foliage, if it is getting sufficient sun, one might suspect too much nitrogen. You should be using a fertilizer with a low first number (like 4-10-10) or at least with a bigger middle number... that's phosphorus and can help blooming. Nitrogen encourages green growth (which is why lawn fertilizers have high first numbers in their formulae).

What happens to it in the winter? Like here in Canada, you have "real" winters there in Wisconsin... does the rose die back to the ground or do just the tips die back (or is it really hardy and show no winter kill at all?)? If it dies back completely, there is a chance that it spends the summer recovering each year and doesn't get around to blooming. If that is the case you can try detaching it from its trellis in the late fall, laying it on the ground, and burying it in 10" or so of soil, covered in a good layer of mulch. in the spring you unbury it, reattach it... and it might bloom. I've heard of folks growing figs this way in climates like ours where they wouldn't survive the winters exposed (and it is used for climbing roses too... I'm not just making this up! LOL).

The rose looks really good, so it's likely a question of sunlight, soil nutrient balance, or perhaps hardiness... good luck!

It Gets Plenty of Sun All Day Except on Days Like Today...Looks Like We're in for a Storm...I was Giving the Wrong Kind of Plant Foot...It was 10-10-10...I Have to Wait Till the Beginning of Next Month to Buy the Right Stuff...Don't Know What Kind or Color it is...My Sister Can't Remember Too...I Cut it Down a Bit...Hope it Helps... Here's Photos of it Now...Thank You for the Tip About the Plant Food!

Hi
Hope it helped. Don't feed the rose from this point forward this season. Wait until spring. Feeding it now can encourage late soft growth which will then winterkill. Hope it blooms next year!

Thank You Glen for Your Help...I'll Wait Till Spring to Fertilize it...Hopefully I'll Have Flowers on it and I'll Post it...I Promise...Have a Good Day Glen!