insects on a dog

Hi, I just removed 50-60 tiny bugs (about the size of poppy seeds) from a 3-inch patch on my dog head near his ear. I noticed the bugs when I saw a bunch of them on the floor next to his head. Then I realized that they were falling off his head. Many remained attached to his skin and I scraped them off with my fingernail. They appeared to be full of red blood, I assume my dog's blood. Could these be baby ticks that hatched on my dog's head? Or, could this be some other type of bug? My dog is on tick preventative medicine so I assume the bugs that fell off, had been affected by the medicine. Would be very interested in knowing what this might be and what might need to be done, and how to possibly avoid in the future. thanks so much, Linda

Anne Arundel County Maryland insect issues companion animals

That is probably ticks. There are many products for ticks. Take your dog to a veterinarian for advice.