dwarf Alberta

We have a small house & for years we used a dwarf Alberta as a Christmas tree. I hoped to use them for several years & then plant them. Unfortunately they die within a couple of months after Christmas. A few years back I started buying the trees earlier in the year so that they could acclimate to the weather. I bring them inside a week before Christmas & return them outside a few wees after. Lately, even during warm winters, the trees turn brown & die within a few months. Is there something I can do differently? Thanks

Middlesex County Massachusetts alberta spruce trees

The alberta spruce is a woody plant. It is best planted in the ground and not moved indoors. Long periods of warm temperatures reduce the winter hardiness of plants. Most likely they are breaking their dormancy when brought indoors and then they decline. It is recommended that you keep your living Christmas tree in the home less than 10 days. Then you will have to plant outdoors. See our tips on live Christmas trees http://extension.umd.edu/sites/default/files/_images/programs/hgic/Publications/not_updated/HG%2046_...