Help identifying a vine weed

I need help identifying a pervasive, vine-like weed that I just can't seem to get rid of. Photos are attached. It seems to have bulbs shaped like sweet potatoes when mature; smaller round white bulbs when young. It spreads really quickly through white runners, growing long twisting vines in the course of just 2-3 weeks. I had English ivy in the same area and was able to dig that up and then cover with newspapers with mulch on top. These vine weeks pop right through the newspapers. Please help me ID this and figure out how to get rid of it.

Montgomery County Maryland weed identification bindweed weed

This is bindweed. Here is our website info about it: http://extension.umd.edu/hgic/bindweed

It has a long root. Dig up as much as possible. Also, do not let ANY leaves grow. As soon as you see one, snip it off. This will exhaust the energies in the root system and, because the plant cannot carry on photosynthesis, it cannot replenish the energy it uses to make new leaves. It will eventually disappear. One summer, if you are vigilant, should do it.

Thank you. This was very helpful.