Ewinia Chrysanthemi

Planted onions in a 4x8 bed early-mid June. This bed is a new planting. Some onions showed signs of die-off. Samples tested positive E. Chrysanthemi. (Onions can be exposed to this during storage. I stupidly keep bulbs in a bag for 2+ weeks.) At this point most of the remaining onions appear to be ok. In the near future I wish to remove the onions and replace them with a fall crop- carrots. However carrots are also attacked by E.C. So my tentative plan is this: Carefully remove the top 4" of soil, add a large amount of mycorrhiza (Wikipedia sites an article claiming the effectiveness of this against E.C. in a controlled environment), work the remaining soil very vigorously (the soil which I inherited is a very heavy clay) and, finally, add a 10" layer of fresh mixture on top of this. Does this plan offer an hope of success? (Please note that the essential question could just as well apply to a soil preparation next year, say, if the planting of a fall crop was skipped. Answering this question could require some understanding of what soil depth E.C. remains a threat. Please the connection here with issues surrounding solarization.)

Hudson County New Jersey disease onions

We do not know where you had your samples tested. At this point we recommend that you contact your Extension service at Rutgers Plant Diagnostic Laboratory for more information https://njaes.rutgers.edu/plantdiagnosticlab/contact.asp