weeds in garden beds

My neighbor's garden beds are very close to the strip of lawn we share. She rarely weeds her beds and consequently there are lots of weeds including crab grass. Consequently the seeds from the crabgrass go over to the strip of grass. In the past I have applied pre emergents but did not do it this year as I thought the weed issue would be under control since last year there was not too much crabgrass in the lawn strip. Next year I will apply the preemergent on the strip of grass we share. I also talked to her about applying pr emergent to her garden bed and she is not opposed to this. She has some shrubs in her beds but no perennials. Can I use the same preemergent in the Spring on her beds that is applied on the lawn?

Anne Arundel County Maryland

You can use the same product in garden beds to control crabgrass as you would on your lawn. Check the label for plants listed on the bag for use in the garden bed. Preen is a product listed for use in garden beds and available at most box stores. Most of the herbicides used to control crabgrass require a second application, especially on the sandy soils of AA County.
http://extension.umd.edu/sites/default/files/_images/programs/hgic/Publications/non_HGIC_FS/TT-43e%2...

ro