Clivia and mealy bugs

What is best way to control or better eliminate mealy bugs on clivia? My plant is 25 years old (divided several times over the years), grown in a pot, with 5 fans at present. About 2 years ago, mealy bugs appeared. Especially problematic in winter during period when clivias should be kept dry. During spring / summer, plant is outdoors, and hose spray helps control them, but I know they also live in the soil. Is a systemic treatment best? If so, which? I hate to throw the plant away as it is otherwise healthy and blooms beautifully in March.

Mercer County New Jersey insect issues houseplants clivia mealybugs horticulture

Here are the suggestions on our website: http://extension.umd.edu/hgic/mealybugs-houseplants

If you choose to use a systemic, that's fine. The only caution would be to keep the open flowers away from bees. Shouldn't be a problem.

Another idea: repot your clivia in clean soil and pot, after treating and cleaning the plant.