yellow corn

I am growinng sweet corn inn a large pot filled with potting soil and watered weekly with miracle grow. My plants are 6 feet tall and have ears on, but why are my plants so yellow?

Marion County Oregon

Sorry to hear about your yellow corn plants. The most common reason for yellow corn is insufficient nitrogen. That could very well be true in spite of providing the plant with Miracle-Gro fertilizer once a week.

“Sweet corn prefers full sun and fertile, well-drained soil for maximum yield. Incorporate plenty of organic matter and a complete fertilizer into the area before planting. When soils are above 60ºF, space rows 24-30 inches apart and plant seeds 1-2 inches deep and 9-12 inches apart in the row.” (“Sweet corn in the garden” - https://extension.usu.edu/files/publications/publication/HG_Garden_2005-10.pdf)

When those conditions are compared with growing in a container, it’s easy to realize that pots are undersized for corn, also for the water and fertilizer it needs. The article at the above link, also suggests using “1- 2 lbs of all-purpose fertilizer (16-16-8) per 100 square feet of planting area.” I don’t know how one can convert that to the amount needed for a pot. It’s difficult to guess if fertilizing more often will remedy the situation this year.

Gardening is one of those “learn by doing” experiences. Sometimes success follows, other times the gardener decides to change the plan for the next season. All in all, the gardener then knows more than before.

Enjoy your garden!