best ferilizer to prevent crabgrass in Resistant Tall Fescue

I had a new Resistant Tall Fescue lawn put in my back yard in May of this year 2016 over here in Monmouth. I am a 76 year old woman and I need to make sure my yard guys put down the right best brand of Fertilizer and how often to prevent crabgrass and weeds. It was a great money sacrifice to me and want to do it in the front lawn also in September but want to make sure I keep this lawn healthy! Thank you, Janie Martin www.JanieMartinSings.com 503-837-0501

Polk County Oregon lawns and turf

The best crabgrass prevention for any lawn is proper maintenance, which includes mowing, fertilization, and irrigation, as well as herbicide use for crabgrass prevention.

Mow your lawn once a week at 3" for tall fescue. If possible mow twice per week at this height (3").

Fertilize 4 times per year at 1.0 lbs N per 1000 sq ft per application, totaling 4 lbs N per 1,000 sq ft annually. Make these applications in May, June, September and October. Use a fertilizer that is high levels of N, low levels of phosphorus, and moderate levels of potassium; such as 25%N - 3%P - 10%K.

Irrigate 4 times per week at 0.25" per application totaling 1.0" per week. Add extra irrigation events in Aug (5 or 6 events per week, keeping the rate at 0.25" per event).

The final step is per-emergence herbicides, which should be applied in the spring (April/May). Successful pre-emergence herbicides include Pendulum, Dimension, or Quali-Pro Prodiamine.