Hello. I have done a lot of home canning over the years and I wondered how do...

Hello. I have done a lot of home canning over the years and I wondered how do I tell if the pressure relief valve needs to be changed? It never has popped out, but should it be changed periodically? Thank you very much!

Preble County Ohio home food preservation pressure canning

Thank you for your question. I am assuming you are asking about what we refer to as the over-pressure plug (usually a small rubber plug that fits in an opening on the lid.

Yes, this should be changed periodically. We usually recommend whenever you change the gasket that you also change the over-pressure plug. A good way to check if the over-pressure plug is still in good shape is to see if you can make an indent in it with your fingernail. If it is still flexible/pliable, then it should also be able to release if the pressure in the canner gets too high.

If you have additional questions, don't hesitate to call you local OSU Extension Office in Preble County.