A vacant lot full of weeds that I have to keep cutting down

What kind of weed killer do you recommend to kill weeds on a vacant lot so that I do not have to travel 1 hour & rent a machine about every few weeks to cut them down. I am a senior citizen so this is not something I can keep up with very easily, cost or health wise.

Will County Illinois weed issues weeds

Can you tell me what type of weeds you have--soft stems or woody stems?

They are on a vacant lot in a sub division & the neighbors keep complaining so we need to keep cutting them down. I do not know if they have soft or woody stems. We had planned to someday build on this property, but things have changed & we have it up for sale. My husband is getting close to 80 yrs old & we are on "fixed income" & to hire for the cutting is costly so he has been traveling an hour to this property to do it himself & we were hoping that we could come up with some kind of weed killer to keep the weeds from growing.

Anonymous Guest

There are various levels of herbicides you could use for this purpose. Some are so harsh they would leave the ground sterilized for about a year. You might want to steer away from them because they tend to kill other plants downstream.
If I just needed a couple month's break from the mowing I would probably use something labeled to control weeds for 4 - 6 months like Bayer's Durazone: https://www.bayeradvanced.com/find-a-product/weed-grass-brush-control/durazone-weed-grass-killer