Mulch for Garden

I wanted some suggestions for a type of mulch that will enrich the ground. I have a clay based soil, but I usually add a layer of mulch around my plants each Spring. I have used different ones, but would like a suggestion from you. My neighbors have black mulch, which to me is a waste of time. I don't want mulch for the looks only, I want mulch to enrich the soil. Thanks. Sharyn d

Baltimore County Maryland

From your description of your situation, we cannot say that any type of mulch would be any better than any other. Select the one that appeals to you aesthetically or financially. If you want to enrich the soil, select one that will decompose--not shredded tires or gravel. http://pubs.ext.vt.edu/426/426-724/426-724_pdf.pdf vw

Thanks for your reply. I must say I am a little disappointed. I would never put ground up tires or gravel around my flowers or any plants. I guess I don't understand enough about mulch because I thought there was one that would enrich the soil and not just be appealing to the eye.
Thanks,
Sharyn D

Most mulches enrich the soil (with the exception of the ones mentioned in the previous email), including black shredded hardwood. Cedar bark, pine bark, shredded hardwood mulch all enrich the soil. vw