What kind of plant is this?

Can you please help me identify this plant it is about 6 to 8 inches high and has a long thin trunk / stem and it grows little clusters of tiny white flowers thank you

Brunswick County North Carolina plant identification tropical plants

Good question--I have no idea. It looks so familiar but I can't place it with anything.

I have sent this to some folks in the area who might know and will get back to you shortly with a positive identification.

Talk soon!

Well, after asking some very knowledgeable agents around the state there still seems to be some confusion as to what this is. The latest response I received was:

"I don’t know what this one is. I’ve followed every hunch I had but can’t come up with anything. I do think it is tropical or subtropical. I can see why Bill Cline suggested Osmanthus but I really don’t think that it what it is. It looks to me to be possible succulent or semi-succulent. The leaf scars on the stem are pretty distinctive and the flower only seems to have 4 petals which is also less common. Based on the leaf scars it appears to have alternate or whorled leaves."

Given this, I am going to see if anyone in either South Carolina or Florida might know this one.

Hi,

Unfortunately, I am not exactly sure, either. The foliage looks a lot like Ardisia crispa, but the flowers don't look right.

Do you have any other information such as where you got it from or whether it's been exposed to freezing?