"Tufting" or small moundings in several spots

My lawn is a blend of Kentucky Blue, Rye, and some fescues. In some areas no larger than 6-feet in diameter a strange appearance or characteristic is developing. THe lawn is very well cared for as twice annually I cut,aerate, dethatch, rake up, starter fert, overseed, dress with manure (compost) and water with irrigation system. Also use Milorganite. It is typically very dense.
In the one picture, the spots are a bluish green, but those spots have become the tufted areas.
Just took more photos and the grass is spongy and thin compared to the upright grasses next to them.

I may have been over-watering and watering too little because I kept the 5-min setting 3x's a day to keep the seed moist. I do see some mushrooms.

Cook County Illinois

Thanks for sending the pictures.

The "tufting" you are referring to are clumps of tall fescue. Tall fescue is an upright bunch/clump grass, and it grows very differently than Kentucky bluegrass, which is a low-growing spreading grass. Because of their two different growth patterns, we have long recommended AGAINST mixing tall fescue with any other species.

At this point, the best advice I can give is to perform a complete renovation of the lawn. Kill it off in August, and plan on reseeding or resodding in September. Use EITHER Kentucky bluegrass, or tall fescue, but not both.

Please let me know if you have any other questions.