Bergenia

I've attached a photo of a Bergenia (possibly the cordifolia species; the flowers are deep pink - the best I can do in identification) which did not exhibit blossoms this year. The foliage looks otherwise appropriately healthy, but no flowers showed. The lack of blossoms MAY be due to grazing deer, but I've never seen those rascals actually gnawing my plants. Are there insects or disease which might afflict bergenia? I'd like to have your take on what might be the root (or the blossom, in this case) of this problem. Thanks in advance for any information you can supply.

Montgomery County Maryland flowers bergenia no flowers

In general bergenia is a relatively low maintenance plant. It can be susceptible to some leaf spots and root rots but that does not show that in your photo. It grows best in partial shade. It is adaptable to a wide variety of soils with some tolerance to drought conditions but does not tolerate overly wet conditions. Prefers moist soils high in organic matter. Bergenia is prone to winter damage. At times the flower buds will also be harmed by winter cold. Do not cut back in the autumn. Wait until early spring when faded leaves can be cut or pulled off the plant.