What kind of tree is this and where is its origin?

I just got back from El Salvador. I happened to see a strange big tree that I 'd never seen before. This tree has grown very tall about 50' feet at lease and have a pretty big trunk. The strange things about this tree are that It bare fruits close to the trunk of the tree there seemed to have no fruits on the branches above. The fruits are about the size of a cantaloupe and have a dark choco brown skin, fairly smooth.
I 'd been told that the fruit has a mildly pungent order and not appetizing to eat.

I had took some picture of the flowers and the fruits. Hope that someone can tell me what is is and I can pass the knowledge to the persons who had been wondering for years.

Ramsey County Minnesota fruit trees plant identification tropical plants el salvador

I'm originally from Puerto Rico so these fruits are similar to some that I have seen growing back at home. The common name is "mamey" or "mamey sapote"...the taxonomic name is Pouteria sapota.

Hope this helps.