What is Killing my White Pines

I lost a white pine this spring / summer. It was at least 10 years old. The needles yellowed then when brown. I removed the tree (cut thru the trunk near the ground) a couple of weeks ago. When I went to burn the wood in a recreational fire I noticed hundreds of very small holes in the trunk. I lost a smaller white pine last year and I have other white pines on the property. I have a grouping of about 6 white pines (5 to 15 years old) in a twenty foot area. It looks like I have another small white pine starting to yellow. The two dead pines happened within that grouping. I also have some very mature white pines on the property. What is killing my white pines? Should I do something to help ensure I don't lose more white pines? Thank you very much for any assistance you can provide. Doug Calhoun

Crow Wing County Minnesota diagnosis of plant problems white pine tree dying horticulture

IPS bark beetles can leave bore holes in White Pine. Symptoms of decline due to them can be needles yellowing and turning red over time. I have attached a link below that shows pictures and gives information regarding them. I would recommend contacting an arborist from a local tree care company to come and evaluate the remaining trees. http://www.extension.umn.edu/garden/diagnose/plant/evergreen/pine/branchesholes.html