Stressed spruce trees?

Hi,

My husband and I live in central Alberta and have several decade old spruce trees as part of our shelter belt. This year we noticed many of them laden with cones and thought nothing of it at first. As I've been reading experts have prompted investigating possible stresses for the trees involved and so I've noted a few that I think may be an issue. Some of them are on top of the hills and so I think they may not be getting the water that the lower ones are. I've also noted some have mole issues at the base and am trapping moles to fix this issue. But there are still some that the only potential problem I see is a type of mushroom at the base of the tree. I've googled and googled and can't seem to find anything that looks like the mushroom that I see in our yard much less find any information as to the possible link between the multitude of cones and this mushroom. Is there any insight you can shed?

Outside United States

Don't worry about the cones. Cone crops vary from year to year, and a heavier year does not necessarily mean anything. Mushrooms are only a problem if they are emerging right from the tree.