Why yellow zucchini stem rotten :-(

Dear Master Gardner, My yellow zucchini grew (in big styrofoam container) very well till these three days that the stem close to the soil became rotten, "split/open (parallel to the plant) " and the whole plant died even there are many flower on it! It was still very beautiful during the weekend. At the beginning I thought it was too hot and not enough water but I watered it a lot these two days and it still wilt. I just ooked closely and found the stem was rotten :-( Do you have any idea what may be the cause? and how to prevent it? It seems "transfected" because one container was bad and now another one. I do not use pesticide or fertilizer, only the compost from our own backyard. Thanks for your input in advance! Cheers, Emily,

Montgomery County Maryland vegetables insect pests squash vine borer

The pest you have is called a squash vine borer. The good thing is that you have enough growing time left to start another planting. Use either direct seed planting or purchase young plants. the attached fact sheet list several methods of prevention. http://extension.umd.edu/growit/insects/squash-vine-borer

ro