Weaning and Feed

Dear Expert; I am weaning a group of heifers ages 7 months to 13 months. What and how much should I feed? How many times a day should I feed? They appear to have mineral deficiency as their coats are scruffy and they devour minerals when provided. Should they be allowed to eat as much mineral supplement as they wish or should the minerals be rationed? Any suggestions you have will be greatly appreciated! Sincerely, H.A.

Washington County Texas beef cattle beef cattle nutrition

animalscience.tamu.edu/.../sites/14/2012/04/beef-mgmt-replacement.pdf

They need to gain about 1.5 lbs a day. They also need to weigh at least 600 lbs when it comes to time turn a bull in. Feeding them about 5 lbs. of a 14 to 16 % feed and free choice grass or feed should make that happen. Need to watch older ones condition of fat cover to make sure they don't get too fat. They should reduce their consumption of mineral once their system gets caught up. A shot of multi-min would help jump start their system.

The site above has some really good info.

Hope this helps

Thanks so much this was very helpful! The web link was also very informative. So thanks for helping my heifers
H Anderson