Hi In my last visit to the U. I saw you had Chicago hardy fig trees growing...

Hi In my last visit to the U. I saw you had Chicago hardy fig trees growing outside. How are they doing and I would like to know if they fruit this year yet so I can do the same in southern Michigan.

Van Buren County Michigan figs

The hardier fig varieties such as Chicago hardy figs will require winter protection to fruit in the Michigan climate. The stem can take air temperatures down to about 10F and the roots (in the ground) can take air temperatures down to about -20F. -25°F for the roots.

Protecting the fig plants involves moving a pot or digging up in late fall and store it in a semi insulated garage or greenhouse, or move inside as a house plant. Another strategy is to dig a trench next to the fig plants, tip the bushes sideways into it, cover with a piece of carpet, then cover with moist soil. Again, the goal is to keep the branches warm enough so that you can get fruit in the coming growing season. If the plant has to regrow from the roots, there will be no fruit in that season.

http://www.gardeningknowhow.com/edible/fruits/figs/fig-cold-protection.htm