Can a Utah Town form a conservation land trust?

Asked July 11, 2016, 3:03 PM EDT

Hello, I am from Brian Head Utah, The town is struggling with how best to protect the remaining 35% of Town meadow that runs adjacent to Hwy 143. There is significant resistance to handing the land to a 3rd party, and if the Town retains the land without any changes it is not permanently protected. I was wondering, after reading an Extension publication if we could do the following. 1. Form a 501c3 Conservation Land Trust 2. Transfer the development rights for targeted town property to the trust via an Easement. Does this sound feasible?

Iron County Utah

1 Response

I am happy to hear that you are interested in conserving the town meadow. It really is an important habitat, even at its much-reduced size. I am not a lawyer and don't really know HOW to go about doing these things, but Yes, you can form a 501c3 land trust and transfer the development rights to this land trust. I would contact a real estate lawyer to determine what the details would be.

All the best,