What are these roots in my soil?

I am in the process of replanting my old lawn with drought tolerant landscaping. (I live in arid southern California.) The grasses/weeds are gone, and the soil is compacted with the exception of what I think are roots of some sort. They are basically hollow, sort of woodsy (like tree bark, but tubular.) If I can get a good grip on one, I can pull it up and through the soil for a while, til it breaks off and I have to dig to find it again. There are a lot of them that seem to be coming out from under the cement sidewalks and walkway in front of my house. The pieces I've been able to pull up are usually about a foot long or less, and they are at a depth if about 5" or less.

Los Angeles County California integrated pest management sustainable gardening and landscaping

Thank you for your question for eXtension. We don't currently have eXtension experts based in California and therefore we cannot provide you with a timely answer. IPlease consider contacting the Cooperative Extension office closest to you-they may have Master Gardeners on staff that can assist with your request. Simply go to http://articles.extension.org, drop in your zip code and choose the office that is most convenient for you. We apologize that we can't help you right now, but please come back to eXtension to check in as we grow and add experts.