method to control bindweed

I have a good amount of bindweed that has twisted itself around many flowers. I've tried to remove the top part and dig up the root, but the roots seem to run all over. What ever root is left sprouts more vine. I would like to dig plants to move elsewhere but don't want to move the weed with the plant. Do I have to remove all the soil and check the plant roots for the white root of the bindweed and manually pick it out? Is there something that I can treat the weed with without killing my flowers?

Passaic County New Jersey bindweed weed

You could try painting glyphosate (the active ingredient in RoundUp and other herbicides) on your bindweed using a cheap sponge brush, being careful not to get any on the plants that you value. It may require more than one application to get it all. Otherwise, you will have to manually remove the roots as you describe. vw