Dying pine tree?

I have two pine trees that are in rough shape. One is totally brown and dead, the other starting to brown. Can I save the second one?

Dakota County Minnesota pine tree health

Thank you for the question. I can't tell from the photo just what is wrong. It can be normal to have some needles progress from yellow to brown and then fall off in the fall. This would be normal seasonal needle drop but I don't know if that's the issue. If you see pines losing their new needles this may not be normal and can indicate a disease or insect problem. Certainly, having them all turn brown is completely abnormal. Think about when you first noticed the damage and how long has this been going on? If you look closely at the needles, branches, and trunk, do you see any signs of insect damage or disease? Think about any fertilizers or other chemicals that may have been applied to the lawn recently as well as any nearby physical damage such as lawn mower, weed wacker, or construction events. There are several issues pines may develop over time but it is extremely difficult to make any determination without having a correct identification of the pine or what the damage looks like up close and in person. I have included the following websites that briefly explain a few issues with pines. Please read through it and see if any of the information is helpful.
http://www.extension.umn.edu/garden/diagnose/plant/evergreen/pine/ This is a link to our self diagnostic site that might help you figure out what's going on.
Again it is extremely difficult to make a proper diagnosis without seeing the damage in person. If the websites don't help you can contact a certified arborist to help diagnose the problem. You can find a certified arborist at this website; http://www.treesaregood.com Click on Find a Tree Care Service at the top of the screen and you can locate an arborist near you by entering your zip code.

Thank you for contacting Extension.