Rosemary

We purchased a rosemary plant from Cub Foods 3 months ago. Did well for 2 months. Now half my plant has turned brown and died. This is planted in a large planter box sitting on my deck railing. Also have basil and regular mint growing - well. I think we will lose the other half of the rosemary plant. Any suggesrions as to what is going on? Thank you in advance

Hennepin County Minnesota

It's difficult to know what's affecting the plant without seeing it or sharp close-up photos. If the plant simply begins to wilt and there is no evidence of leaf diseases, the roots may be rotting. Rot caused by fungus often affects the roots when the soil remains consistently damp. Look for branch tips that turn brown or black, or whole branches that blacken and die. If root rot is the cause, the plant may recover if it's watered sparingly.

It's possible the condition, whatever it is, began to affect the plant before it was sold.