what is eating these veggies?

Hi there, I have several clients who I am providing garden support for in the portland area. Two of my clients seem to have some pest that I can't seem to identify which makes very regular incisions in leaves! I have observed these patterns in eggplants, peppers, tomatoes, and bush beans. I have seen a lot of veggies eaten by many types of pests, but this pattern is unfamiliar to me. Any thoughts? Thanks so much!, Ian

Multnomah County Oregon gardening vegetables hail damage

Thank you for attaching the images because they clearly display what you have explained so well. The only missing part of the description is that no tissue is missing except, perhaps, one small area on the eggplant leaf.

As it turns out, the damage isn’t from insects or any other chewing pest.

Take a few moments to think back over the past several weeks of rather unusual weather. We had a heat wave or two; several downright chilly episodes; rain; and hail. Yes, it’s hail. Hail rips, tears (slits), and bruises leaf tissue.

All in all, the plants will be fine. But do check the fruits if any are present as yet because they may have been bruised. If so, small brown areas or “scuffed” tissue may be visible now, or later on.

Aha!!! That makes a log of sense! Thanks so much.

- ian