Small wasps nest

I have a small wasps nest building on my deck (right now it's the size of a golf ball). We see about 3 wasps there and I'm trying to figure out what's the best way to get rid of it so they don't come back. I bought a swap/hornet pesticide from Home Depot, but I figured it wouldn't hurt to check with experts. Regards, ~

Montgomery County Maryland

It may be helpful to identify the type of wasp/hornet that you are dealing with. See our website for more information on stinging insects. http://extension.umd.edu/hgic/insects/stinging-and-biting
In general, these insects are beneficial as they feed on many pest insects. However, If this nest is located in an area that may be a threat to you, you should consider removal. Locate the entrance to the nest during the day. All control should be done at night when most of the hornets are in the nest. Do not shine a flashlight directly on the nest, as this may attract the hornets towards the light after being sprayed. Use a commercially available wasp and hornet spray directed at the entrance hole. Follow the label directions carefully. mh