Canine: I need a Veterinarian for this one! Nosebleeds in absence of usual causes

Hello, I live in Tucson AZ. I adopted a border collie from a neighbor about 6 years ago. The dog, Rowdy, is now about 7. At the time I got him he was suffering nosebleeds (hemorrhaging) that had reduced his blood count to near critical levels. He was tested for all the usual diseases that can cause nosebleeds ie Tick fever etc. All were negative. He tested positive for coccidiomycosis-titer was about 1: 32 (can't remember exact number) and was subsequently treated with appropriate dose of fluconazole BID for over a year. He recovered and did well for 5 years until 4 months ago when he started the nosebleeds again. Cocci titer at that time was 1:4 and he was not tested for other diseases but was put on 30 days of Doxycycline and again Fluconazole. His nosebleeds resolved quickly and after about 3 months of treatment his cocci titer remained 4:1. I think (but my vets disagree) that he has something going on in his posterior sinuses/pharynx (abcess/lesion/cyst/tumor) that may or may not be exacerbated with a recurrence of the coccidiomycosis. His appetite is a little depressed, his energy level is lower still than before this recurrence, he still has cough/gagging occasionally. I soak his kibble until soft (his nosebleeds started most frequently when his head was down and he was eating) , and stopped giving him fish oil and the Rimadyl he was on for apparent hip pain when getting up and down. I am at a loss. What is your opinion/impression? What would my next step be? CT or x-ray of head, neck and sinuses? I have a video of his last nosebleed and tried to download a jpg that is a pic of an example of the amount of blood he was losing with each nosebleed. Please advise. I am coming to Colorado again in September and could bring him there.

Pima County Arizona companion animals dog health

I am so sorry to read about your dog.

I am not a veterinarian, so I cannot speculate about what may be happening. I am a passionate dog lover who has frequented the veterinary office with several dogs of my dogs and fosters.

Thanks for including the photo. At first I was thinking that was a lot of blood, then I remembered my 4 year old niece's bloody nose and it did not seem like so much. Remember the nose is FULL of blood vessels.

I also think it is great that you provided so much background.
This is where I think I can help you.j

I am a person who has never hesitated to get a second opinion and my local vet is very supportive of that. I recommend you continue to investigate.

Make sure you share the information you shared in your post with the new vet so you do not have to spend as much time and money on diagnosing what you already know.

I would share information about:
amount of blood - your photo
if you suspect pain
reaction of your dog bending over or lying down
fever history
cough history
any other discharge in addition to blood
shaking of head or attention to ears
dental inspections
bad breath
personality change
what he is being fed
supplements given
and of course your results regarding past treatment and platelet deficiency
here make sure you include the number of days he was on an antibiotic and the type of medicine

In the mean time you could also do some online searches for rebound sinusitis and rhinosinusitis (sp?)

Here are some other web sites you might find helpful

http://www.pethealthnetwork.com/dog-health/dog-diseases-conditions-a-z/dog-and-cat-nose-bleeds-epist...

http://care.american-rhinologic.org/epistaxis

You asked what your next step should be; I recommend a second
opinion. A specialty vet hospital would be great if you have that option.

If you have more questions, please repost.