What is this bug called?

Asked July 3, 2016, 10:22 AM EDT

They are emerging from my floor boards. They move by squirming their body in a U-shape and straight again.

Orange County New York integrated pest management household pests pest identification silverfish

1 Response

Hi, these are silverfish, a primitive type of insect. They feed on decaying matter and mold and can be found in homes all over. Especially older homes.

Some additional information can be found here: http://www.extension.umn.edu/garden/insects/find/silverfish-and-firebrats/

I hope this helps!