Plant I.D.

Going to try and download 3 pics. One picture shows the bottom of my plant and the next it's flowering top. The 3rd picture has thick leaves and looks like a succulent. Can you tell me what they are called so I can use the correct fertilizer? Thank you.

Franklin County Pennsylvania

The plant with the sharp pointy leaves with the tall flower stalk is a yucca. It is a n evergreen perennial native to the southeastern United States, but has escaped cultivation and now ranges into New England. Here's a link for more info:

http://www.missouribotanicalgarden.org/PlantFinder/PlantFinderDetails.aspx?taxonid=282017&isprof...

The succulent in the third photo is a variety of upright sedum. If you didn't plant it, it is probably a volunteer from a neighbor's garden. It may flower later in the summer. The Autumn Joy variety of sedum has been very popular with gardeners for years. The fleshy leaves turn a beautiful shade of red in the fall.

Both of these plants do well in poor to medium well-drained soils. Both will rot if grown in too wet conditions.

Happy Gardening!

My mother was European and use to call the above succulent "live forever plants". Although they are not. She used them on her toes for her " corns" and maybe to heal burns. She just put the leaf on the affected area and wrapped it in bandaid.

Interesting! I am familiar with use of the aloe plant, another succulent, for healing burns and skin irritations.

Thanks for using "Ask an Expert."