Noxious Weed elimination

My garden has been over run with a plant named bishops weed or snow on the mountain, aegodium. It has crowded out most of my perennials. Can you suggest a process to eliminate it from my garden. I have tried digging up clumps but my efforts are futile and it keeps rewarding my efforts by coming back in force. Do I need to use a chemical defoliant??

Washtenaw County Michigan

Also known as Goutweed (Aegopodium podagraria) can be quite a headache when trying to rid it from your garden. If attempting to control it by digging it out, you are just encouraging it to reproduce further. Every little piece that is left in the soil, will resprout over and over. The best solution would be a systemic herbicide (glyphosate) such as Round-up. But care must be taken, glyphosate will kill any plants that it is in contact with, so if it is in a large area where there are no other plants, you could spray it. Being systemic, the herbicide will travel down to the roots and kill the plant. If you have other plants you want to keep nearby, it would be best to 'paint' the chemical on each individual leaf with a sponge or paint brush, being careful not to get it on your other plants. If you have a large area you want to kill off, you could mow them down and then cover the entire area with black plastic. Leave covered for the whole season. This is best done in the spring before they get a good foothold. Check out the website below: https://www.nps.gov/plants/alien/fact/aepo1.htm I hope this was helpful. Feel free to contact us again if you have further questions.