lichen, spanish moss

Hello, I have some pine trees and maple trees and seem that all are infected with lichen and moss or old man beard, at least it seems this way. It is killing the leaves and branches where it grows on the trees. I just bought this house so I do not know since when this has been going on. Is there a treatment or is there something I can do to make this go away or at least to control it. Thank you for your time and help. Felipe Arredondo

Benton County Oregon maple trees lichen

Thank you for attaching the images.

The growths on the branches are several different kinds of lichens.

Here in the northwest, lichens are very common on woody plants, especially those which are slow growing. Lichens don’t damage woody trees or shrubs but will remain after the branch dies.

Spanish moss doesn’t grow here.

Whenever you’re out and about, perhaps shopping or just strolling on a nice day, look at the tree trunks as you pass by. You’ll see that this kind of lichen is very common here in the northwest. It’s an indication of the excellent quality of our air.

See "Lichenland" at http://gis.nacse.org/lichenland/