Grasshoppers have invaded

I have lived in my house for 5 years and just recently I have had a massive increase in grasshoppers. They have eaten the leaves on my new cherry and apple trees within days and I'm wondering if I should trim them back, or how do I get my trees to come banck and not die? They have also made an impact on my large lawn. Only since the insects have invaded has the perimeter of my lawn started dieing. Could the grasshoppers be doing this as well. Also how to I get rid of them?!

Thanks,
Dawn

Humboldt County Nevada integrated pest management insect issues

Unfortunately, there is no simple and effect solution. Habitat modification would be expensive and would only work with juveniles and in the area you live baiting would be difficult. I have attached an information sheet from UC Davis that will provide you with options, but depending on how large you parcel is you may look into a licensed pesticide applicator.
http://ipm.ucanr.edu/PDF/PESTNOTES/pngrasshoppers.pdf