Lilacs Never Flower

I have a large lilac bush that we transplanted about10 years ago from a well established cluster. It is planted on the North side of my lawn along the edge of the woods. The plant looks very healthy and is between 6 and 7 feet tall and about 5-6 feet wide. My problem is that it has never flowered. Not even on little cluster. Why would this be and what can I do to get flowers in the spring?

Todd County Minnesota

Lilacs not blooming, but otherwise healthy, may be attributed to two primary issues: light and pruning. While you don't mention pruning this plant at all, note that lilacs set flower buds for next year about two weeks after they bloom this year. Therefore they should be pruned immediately after blooming to prevent cutting off flower buds.

Your plant may not have enough sun. In your email. you note the pant is on the north side of your property (least amount of sunlight) and on the edge of woods. It is likely too shady to promote blooming. Your options include moving the plant to a sunnier location or pruning large branches so it will receive at least 6 hours of full sunlight.