Dutch Elm Disease

I believe I have diseased Elm trees in the immediate wooded area around my Jericho home. If I were to cut them down where should the downed branches and trunks go? Is there an alternative the cutting them down? Naturally, I don't want the small beetles that cause the fungus to spread to other trees, but I am at a loss as to what to do

Chittenden County Vermont dutch elm disease

Thanks for reaching out. I have been corresponding with Ann in University of Vermont's Plant Diagnostic Clinic. She is preparing some recommended next steps, but with the holiday weekend coming up, we're not likely to respond until Tuesday. More soon--

Thank you for getting back to me. It is unfortunate that it's a holiday weekend. That being said, the sooner I get the response, the better. Thanks you. Peggy

Hi Peggy,

Hope you had an enjoyable holiday weekend. Ann responded with this advice:

"The best thing to do is to cut diseased elms and destroy them by burning. That being said, however, these elms are everywhere so it would be a very difficult task. We are seeing young elms living for 15 years or so and then succumbing to the disease. If you have healthy elms on your property and the diseased ones are close, you could just remove the closest ones and hope for the best. It is a tough disease because it is pretty common throughout the Northeast region. Unfortunately, I just confirmed the disease on one of the “resistant cultivars” showing they are not immune. If you have further questions you can email me at ann.hazelrigg@uvm.edu."