Toxic Beets

Asked June 29, 2016, 3:35 PM EDT

I just harvested beets from my organic garden plot in one of the city community gardens. I have eaten beets (from other sources) in the past with no adverse reactions other than one time years ago when I drank beet juice made form beets that were a month old, and I and my friends, who also drank the juice, got ill. I attribute that to the age of the beets. This season I have eaten carrots, greens and peas from this particular garden with no problem. However, yesterday when I cooked and ate the first beet of the season, I had a frightening allergic reaction. These beets were fresh within 24 hours of being harvested, washed and refrigerated. Do beets have any chemicals that can vary and cause this allergic reaction without causing it every time?

Multnomah County Oregon food safety vegetables beets allergies

1 Response

Unfortunately, we don't have good information on allergic reactions to particular foods that individuals might experience, or the patterns of response in some individuals.
Do contact your physician, who may be able to refer you to an allergy specialist. They should have more details about potential allergens and your specific likelihood to react.