Controlling bamboo in yard

I have bamboo planted in a small side flower bed and it is getting out of control. It is sending runners under my walk way and through my front yard. What is the best way to remove or control it. I would like to dig it up and place it in metal planters but I am very concerned about not getting it all and it will just come back. I have no problem hiring someone but I want to make sure it is done right. Any advice would be appreciated.

Multnomah County Oregon weed issues invasive species horticulture

Non-clumping types of bamboo can often get out of hand and make their way to areas they are not wanted in. Dig the bamboo out and try to get as many of the roots and rhizomes as possible. Keep watching the area for any new bamboo growth and quickly remove those as well. If necessary, herbicides can also be used. See the publication below for more information as well as specifics regarding herbicides. Please be sure to follow all label instructions if herbicides are used.
http://www.clemson.edu/extension/hgic/pests/weeds/hgic2320.html

Thank you for using Ask an Expert!