Unknown Shoreline Plant

Hi--I'm hoping you can help me identify the plant in the attached photo. It's growing along the shoreline, just above the high water line, of our property along Broad Creek in Talbot County (sorry--mistakenly put down Queen Anne's in the question form). I'd like to know whether it is native or non-native and/or invasive. Thanks for the help! Nick Dumais

Talbot County Maryland

Nick-

Thanks for sending in a photo- the photo looks close up, and I cannot tell if the leaves are grass-like (shown in the photo), or if they have different leaves that might belong to a broadleaf plant. If you can send me a photo of the leaf or rest of the plant, that might help narrow down the possibilities.

If I had to hazard a guess, I would say it looks like the seed head of curly dock (Rumex crispus). I am noticing a lot of curly dock in our ditches lately, and they are turning that bronze-brown color right now. They like wet areas, so this would make sense for a shoreline. While not necessarily invasive, I would consider it a weed in my garden and it is not native. It will not spread like Phragmites does.

Feel free to send me some more photos or information- mboley@umd.edu.