chestnut trees dying

Emerald ash borer (we think) killed all of our trees we had planted that we thought were poplars. Now our Chinese chestnut has died except for a few scattered branches. The one beside it is still okay so far but we're worried we'll lose that also. Does the ash borer attack more than just ash trees? I've attached a few pics of the tree. Thanks for any help you can give.

Northumberland County Pennsylvania

If that is the tree on the left, it is too far gone to recover. It only appears to have a little bit of live crown on the left side. The holes that you see on the trunk appear to me to be from woodpeckers which would make sense, since they would be looking for insects in a nearly dead tree. It could be that it has chestnut blight (see http://plantclinic.cornell.edu/factsheets/chestnutblight.pdf), which attacks mainly American chestnut, but also attacks Chinese chestnuts. That is my best guess. Ash borer and emerald ash borer do not attack chestnuts.