I have lost several mature elm trees and need to know how to save the rest....

I have lost several mature elm trees and need to know how to save the rest. This began last year when the leaves started to fall in early summer. I live in northern Ohio and do not know how to diagnose or treat the problem. Local landscapers have no knowledge of the matter. I would appreciate your help in saving these beautiful trees. I will send pictures if it would be helpful.

Huron County Ohio dutch elm disease elm trees

Hello. Looking over your question and comparing your symptoms to the information I found on Dutch Elm Disease, this may unfortunately be your problem. I am attaching an article that gives a good overview of the symptoms of DED and its treatment. The article is very thorough. If your specific symptoms seem to match well with the information, you may need to consult an ASA certified arborist to help verify you do indeed have DED and to help with treatment.

https://www.na.fs.fed.us/spfo/pubs/howtos/ht_ded/ht_ded.htm