forsythia care

I have some severely overgrown forsythias in my yard. I want to severely prune them. When is the best time to do this?

Lane County Oregon

The best time to prune spring flowering shrubs, like Forsythias, is immediately after flowering. Right now the plant is starting developing new flower buds for next year and you risk pruning them off. If that isn't a major concern, that it may be wise to prune now to reshape and know that you might get less of a show next spring. Or even wait until the dormant season to prune this year when it is easier to see the form of the shrub (without the leaves). Then follow with any light pruning needs immediately after spring 2017 flowering and you'll be back on track.

Here is a great resource on pruning Forsythias-the video is really helpful. It's from the University of Maine Extension, but the basics still apply here.

Thanks for using Ask An Expert!