Chill requirement

I purchased a Honeycrisp apple tree and a cherry tree from an online catalog company from the south. The trees I planted this spring hardly have an leaves and lots of buds left on the tree. I scraped the branches and they are still green and so are the buds so the tree is alive. Could this be due to the mild winter and the trees coming from the south not meeting its chill requirement? If so will the tree grow next season?

Champaign County Ohio trees and shrubs fruit trees horticulture

There could be many things affecting your trees.

Be sure they are in a sunny area. They require about eight hours of sunlight daily, so you cannot plant them where they will grow in the shade of other trees.

Apple and cheery trees require fertile soil for good growth. They like a pH of 6.2-6.8.

Remember to steer clear of soils that are extremely heavy or poorly drained.

Are any other trees having issues?

It is very possible that your trees are still in shock from planting. Your thoughts about the chill could also be an issue.

I suggest keeping an eye on them, and provided they were planted correctly, and if you don't see any other issues, they will likely do well next year. If not, you may want to contact the nursery and ask if you can return them.

I hope this helps!